Sunday, January 19, 2014

Little Black Dress



I'm off to New York next weekend to spend some much needed quality time with friends I haven't seen in ages. But whenever I'm in New York, there's always the added pressure of looking my best because you never know who you'll run into. To find some inspiration for my upcoming adventure, I dedicate this little post to one of the most reliable sartorial weapons a girl can have in her closet: the Little Black Dress.


A classic LBD is something every girl needs in her closet. You can dress it down with a simple cardigan and cute sandals for during the day. Put a blazer over it with a statement necklace and flats for work. Or pair it with sky high heels, a smokey eye, and a sparkly clutch for a night out on the town with the girls. You can't go wrong with a little black dress, no matter the occasion. Here are a few things I'll be lusting over the weekend, and who knows, maybe one of them will sneakily end up in my closet before I leave...shhhh just don't tell anyone ;)

1. This strappy slip dress is perfect for casual summer days and the floral print keeps it interesting.
2. Since the dress already has a pattern, a simple necklace, like this doggy cameo necklace by Marc Jacobs adds a playful, quirky touch.
3. I know it's still winter but my mind has wandered to a warmer time, so these Jimmy Choo wedges would be the perfect finishing touch for a casual spring look.
4. This is definitely a dream dress splurge, but this Alexander McQueen crepe dress would be the ultimate LBD to wear on a night out with the girls. The fitted top with a square neckline would show off your decolletage while the flared skirt is forgiving and fun to twirl around in for a night of dancing.
5. For a night out, you don't want a giant bag. This geometric clutch is the right amount of sparkle to keep things interesting and comes with a strap so you can easily carry it around town.
6. A pop of color is great accessory for a LBD. These coral platform shoes from ASOS are affordable and the platforms make them easier to dance the night away in.
7. H&M is always full of affordable, stylish closet must haves. This fitted black dress is work appropriate and for just under $20, a steal.
8. To keep a work outfit interesting, a blazer is the perfect accent. This Topshop peplum jacket is sophisticated, the peplum flatters your figure, and the zipper closure adds an edge to it.
9. I am a firm believer in investing in items for my closet. You really do pay for quality for some things, especially bags. I've been lusting after this Prada Saffiano tote for months. It's the ideal size for work since it can fit your laptop or a tablet but not too big that it feels like you are carrying around a suitcase. 

No comments :

Post a Comment