Thursday, July 3, 2014

#TacoTuesday on a Wednesday Night: Pineapple Mango Salsa

Since I was in a salsa making mood this week, I decided that I would quickly whip up some pineapple mango salsa. And instead of keeping this little gem of a recipe to myself, I thought I would share it with all of you. Afterall, sharing is caring :)


This salsa recipe is pretty simple. For a pretty large bowl, you will need...


  • 1 cup diced tomatoes (about 2 large tomatoes)
  • 1 cup diced white onions (1 medium onion)
  • 1 cup diced pineapple (2/3 pineapple)
  • 1 cup diced mango (1 mango)
  • 3 limes
  • handful of mint
  • handful of parsley
  • 2 stalks green onions
I love fresh pineapples but they aren't always the easiest things to cut up. Thanks to this nifty little device, I will no longer struggle with my cutting and can have fresh pineapple whenever I want. 


You basically slice off the top of a pineapple, place the device at the top, twist, and pull! You'll be left with a perfectly hollow shell and delicious rings.


All you need to do for this recipe is chop up the tomatoes, onions, pineapple, and mango into bite sized pieces; finely cut the mint, parsley, and green onions; add everything into a bowl; squeeze in the limes; add salt and pepper to taste; and mix!


If you're feeling extra lazy, feel free to throw everything into a food processor for a quick blitz and then squeeze in the limes with some salt and pepper. I prefer cutting everything by hand though so I can control the sizes. I love me some chunky salsa.

This salsa is great with some tortilla chips.


But I like eating mine with tacos! And what goes better with salsa than tacos?!?

Saying that I love tacos is an understatement. I could eat them 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and not be sick of them. Whenever I'm asked where I want to eat, 9 out of 10 times I'll say some Mexican place. Basically tacos are my life but I've never really tried making my own at home.

Since this was an impromptu meal, I went with a pretty basic cilantro lime chicken filling. 


For the chicken, you will need 2 chicken breasts  (1 per person), 2 limes, 2 cloves of garlic, a handful of cilantro, and some oil. Slice the chicken into bite sized strips and chop up the garlic and cilantro. Place the chicken, garlic, cilantro, oil, and the juice of 2 limes into a bowl. Let the flavors marinate and mingle for at least 30 minutes. While the chicken is absorbing all those yummy flavors, pre-heat your oven to 375F/190C. After 30 minutes, place the chicken in an oven-safe dish and bake for 45 minutes until the chicken is done.


Now all you need for the perfect #TacoTuesday, or really taco any day, is some warm corn tortilla shells and guac.


These tacos were delicious. The slightly tangy chicken, the sweet salsa, and the creamy guac make for a heavenly mouthful each bite.


Jaxson was definitely trying to get his own bite.


Just look at that cute mug! Too bad he couldn't have any. But luckily for you, I made an extra taco for you.


Go on and take a bite! You know ya wanna ;)

No comments :

Post a Comment