Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Weekend and Old Town

Memorial weekend is here and it marks the unofficial start of summer as well as my move back to Chicago for the next few months! I've been horrible about blogging and I have no excuse besides pure laziness. Since being in Chicago is almost like being in an entirely new city (I know a few places here and there), I decided that I am going to spend this summer getting to know this city better. As part of her plan to get me to move here permanently, my cousin K thought that she would show me around parts of Chicago. After spending 45 minutes driving around Wicker Park trying to find parking to no avail, we decided we would give our parking luck a try in Old Town. Luckily the parking fairies were on our side and we found a great spot right in the middle of Wells St!



Walking down Wells St was love at first sight. It reminded me a bit of Newbury St in Boston except without all of the typical mall stores. Each side is lined with restaurants that have an outdoor seating area. K and I already had breakfast so we weren't hungry, but I'm definitely going to come back to try some of these places out!


There are also some unique boutiques that are great to walk into for a browse.


I was on the search for a birthday present for my uncle so we headed into Spice Market. I only got a quick snap of the outside but inside is a spice fiend's mecca. When you open the door you are greeted with a spicy, herbal scent. There are shelves lined with jars of every spice you can think of. I ended picking up a Popcorn Seasoning set for my uncle and some matcha powder for myself. I've been searching for this stuff everywhere and finally got my hands on some. I promise I'll share a smoothie recipe soon but right now, back to Old Town.


Besides all of the eateries, the street is lined with gorgeous trees and the last of the spring flowers.


Along one of the side streets is small fountain dedicated to those who served. Even though Memorial Day is dedicated to honoring our troops, those past, present, and future, it's important to thank them whenever we have a chance. This fountain is a kind gesture.


At one end of Wells St is a school with a giant field. You could hear children laughing in the distant as they climbed on the jungle gym and dogs barking while they played fetch. Right next to the field was a Divvy Bike Station


Since it was such a nice day out, of course everyone would want to be on the bike exploring the city. K and I were going to go for a ride but we ran out of time. We made a deal to rent them next time though!


The school next to the park had a beautiful mosaic on the side walls. I had to take the obligatory photo next to it.


I'm wearing a perforated leather skirt from Urban Outfitters (similar here), my favorite white tshirt from American Eagle, basic American Eagle jean jacket (similar here), old, beat-up slip ons (similar here),  and Louis Vuitton Noe bucket bag.

I'm not great with posing for the camera, I prefer to be behind the scenes; so I will leave you guys with these graceful parting shots. 

No comments :

Post a Comment